Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Farewell Thailand hello Vietnam

Bangkok oh Bangkok, how do I begin to describe you. One minute fruitful, delicious and full of highlights while simultaneously an overburdened touristy party zone for foreigners. No I don’t want to see a ping pong show thank you, no I don’t need a tuk-tuk, didn’t I already tell you no?! Oh right, so your meter isn’t working today, ey? What a whirlwind of a fun place and exciting part of Thailand.

Best Highlight: Chinatown was amazing and by far the coolest thing we went and did. Our tuk-tuk driver told us it was closed on the way trying to persuade us to go somewhere else to promote a friends business. In case you go to Bangkok let me reassure you, it is NEVER closed, the thing is like ridiculously big take San Francisco multiplyx1000 and cut all the prices to a third. Oh and the dim sum yum yum! Its crowded and smelly and sometimes you see parts of the animals you never wanted to or fish you didn’t know existed let alone edible- but its all well worth the experience.

Other than Chinatown, skimming around the granddaddy of Thailand’s huge markets was how we spent most of our time, night markets, day markets flower markets, floating markets, fruit markets, clothes markets…..

We didn’t get to go to the Grand palace or see the Emerald Buddha we will have to visit that on the way back into the country before heading home to Phuket.

We really didn’t take our holiday to visit Bangkok though, we arrived in Hanoi today and off to all sorts of places here after.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephenkmeyers/
Check out this link- Steve is doing an excellent job posting pictures since he’s arrived in September and ongoing throughout our journey to Vietnam Cambodia and Lao. Tomorrow 8am off to Ha Long Bay a night on a junk boat, swimming, with caves to see, kayaking to do and beautiful limestone to discover. From there we go to Sapa the renowned gem of an indigenous village 9 hours outside Hanoi and the south we will head toward Saigon stopping at beaches along the way.

3 comments:

Kristi D. said...

Hey Darlin',

I just heard about the bit typhoon and wondered how you are and where you are? ~Love, Kristi from Duvall...

Kristi D. said...

That was supposed to say the BIG typhoon...

Ryanne said...

Oh thanks for the info. I was so wrapped up in traveling I wasn't aware there was a typhoon. Deff- a different part of th country. I hope you are well! Thanks for keeping me attentive to whats happening. It's weird not speaking the language or able to read the paper let alone renting rooms without TVs- I never really know whats going on outside my bubble unless I read something in English which of course only lets me in on what happening in the western world about how horrible they are invading the middle east...

warm regards and love to duvall kiss my sis and Amirra next you see them for me!